Real Estate Office
The university’s Real Estate Office reports to the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer through the Associate Vice President for Facilities and Operations. The Real Estate Office handles all real estate matters at the university, including those involving the hospitals and health centers, UM-Flint and UM-Dearborn.
When a real estate transaction involves a gift, they work closely with the Office of the Vice President for Development staff and unit development staff. The Real Estate Office also works in close collaboration with the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs (Provost) staff.
The Real Estate Office is responsible for the following transactions:
- Purchases of real estate
- Sales of university-owned property
- Acceptance of gift property (please see University of Michigan Real Estate Policy)
- Access to university property including easements, licenses, memoranda of understanding, and access agreements
- Property encumbrances, restrictions and legal descriptions of real estate
- Mineral rights and leases of mineral rights
- Leases for office, commercial, or storage space
- Availability of non-university lease space
- Leasehold improvements
- Liaison with landlords
Note: The Real Estate Office does not handle self-storage unit rentals.
- Leasing, maintenance, and finances associated with certain U-M properties until they are either demolished, sold, or transferred to another department
Policies & Procedures
- University of Michigan Real Estate Policy
- University of Michigan Standard Practice Guide(SPG) 601.23
- University of Michigan Board of Regents By-Law 3.07
- University of Michigan Space Guidelines(Sq.Footage for Calculating Space Needs)
- Acceptance of gift property - Email Judy Kirkdorffer or call 734-763-2302
- Sale of real estate to U-M - Email Chris Allen or call 734-647-9852
- All other topics - Email Chris Allen or call 734-647-9852